Monday, August 17, 2009

A New Beginning

Welcome to my new blog! I have often read other people's blogs and have thought on many different occasions that I too should learn how to blog my thoughts and ideas. I have often wondered how my thought process might change as I begin to share my thoughts and ideas through this forum.

Three and a half years ago, I set out on a journey to become a healthier me! You see, back then, in 2005 I was extremely obese and desperate for help. I could no longer stand up for more then just a few minutes and needed the help of a cane. Any time we would go to a store to shop I would have to ride one of those electric carts around, and if you know me that in itself is pretty funny as I am legally blind and don't have a drivers license. So at least I got to sort of drive ... lol. Any way, I have worked hard these past several years to become a healthier person but I just don't seem to make it all the way. Just recently, my wife Patty and I were talking about it and a few days later, while she was walking at her favorite late her in Kenosha, WI, the Lord gave her an idea to offer me some time away to really allow the Lord to show me some areas in my life that have caused me not to finish this journey that I started back in 2006. You see, a good friend of mine, Dr. Nick Yphantides who authored the book "My Big Fat Greek Diet" took a radical sabbatical for a year to focus on himself and to lose 270 lbs. During his time away from home the Lord taught him many valuable lessons and this is what Patty felt the Lord was showing here ... that if I could get away and really allow the Lord to show me some of those areas in my life that were holding me back ... I could finally get some healing in those areas and actually learn how to forgive myself for some of my own shortcomings.

And so after much prayer and discussions with our family, I have decided to take up the offer from my wife to spend some time just focusing on myself. We talked with our kids Alex (20) and Becca (18) about it as well to make sure we were all on the same page and both of them encouraged me to do this ... not only for me but for our family. How many of us truly have this kind of opportunity to get away for a bit to just focus on ourselves? It's such an amazing gift from my family and so I will use the time wisely knowing that God is going to help change me from the inside out.

And so on August 30th at 5:50AM, I will be flying out of Milwaukee headed to my folks home in Valencia, CA whom I will stay with for awhile. I also plan of traveling to Beaumont, TX where I"ll be spending some time with my dear friend Pastor Ray McNames who also happens to be a certified counselor. He has graciously offered to help me do an evaluation of my life and to take an inventory of my past memories so that I can get some closure. I know this won't be an easy journey but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to become completely healthy from the inside out!

And thus, the title for my blog! Live Today Well! For too long I have focused on the end result and have missed so much of the journey. The Lord is showing me how much I just need to focus on today and learn how to live today well! Today I need to spend time with Jesus. Today I need to workout. Today I need to spend some quality time with my wife and kids. Today I need to make right eating choices. I need to speak God's promises over my life today and I need to believe them. As I begin to put these new principles for living into action I know the Lord will continue to reveal new truths for me to live by and I know when I come home I'll have much better understanding of who He has called me to be. So today I chose to live well! How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment