Sunday, February 28, 2010

Remembering to Pray!

As I sat in church today, the presence of the Holy Spirit was definately there. The choir sang a song that just blessed me so much. I had to get to my feet because I just couldn't sit still. The song talks about the power of Jesus' name and how incredible that name is. As I praised Jesus and allowed Him to minister to me, I was reminded of how much He longs to have that intimate, personal relationship with me and with you as well! We were created to worship Him but He gave us a free will to decide if we would love Him or reject Him.

Last night, my wife Patty was reading to me from Gail Haggard's new book out called "Why I Stayed". We read together for over 3 hours and then again this morning for another good hour before church. As we read through the pages of her testimony and the tremendous hurt she has gone through and then the amazing healing power of Jesus, I was once again reminded of His GRACE. But why do I struggle talking to Him? Do I think that prayer is some kind of religious activity? Jesus wants to have a relationship with me. He talks to me through His Word, which I need to be reading more, and He loves it when I talk to Him when I pray. Sometimes we think that we have to pray a certain way, but prayer is just communicating with God ... it's talking to Him just like we would talk to a friend. He longs to be our closest friend and I felt this again not only as Patty read to me but as I sat in church and worshiped Him.

There is nothing easy about this life! Each of us have our own struggles, but Jesus promised us that He would never leave us or forsake us and when we are facing temptation, He will give us a way out. Here's what 1 Corinthians 10:13 says in the New Living Translation ... "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. he will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure." My prayer this week is that I will remember these verses as I seek to live today well. I pray that when I'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't, that 1 Corinthians 10:13 will flash in my mind and remind me that He has given me a way out. I pray that I will learn how to love Him more each day knowing that He longs to be my friend and He longs to help me every step of my life and journey. But most of all, I pray that I will be His hands and feet and will be open to however He wants to use me. I am truly a blessed man and I am so thankful for the Lord's amazing GRACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment